Total Project cost: $47,301,000
Project Schedule: 12-month Assignment
Role: Development Consultant / Owner’s Representative
Nicknamed “Indiana’s Basketball Cathedral,” Hinkle Fieldhouse, constructed in 1928, and located on the campus of Butler University, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1987 for its architectural and structural design as well as its significance in the history of recreation, the advancement of the sport of basketball, and the development of college basketball rules.
The Fieldhouse, when completed, was the largest basketball arena in the United States, a title it retained until 1950. Hinkle Fieldhouse is also significant in Indiana’s college and high school basketball heritage, hosting the state high school basketball championships from 1928 through 1971.
Originally named Butler Fieldhouse, the name was changed to Hinkle Fieldhouse in 1966 in honor of Paul D. “Tony” Hinkle (1899-1992), who was the basketball coach for 41 seasons at Butler until 1970.
The Butler Bulldogs still play on the Fieldhouse’s original parquet floor.
Additionally, Hinkle Fieldhouse was home to the US Army Air Forces and US Navy during World War II and was the location where the Hickory Huskers won the Indiana High School State Basketball Championship in the beloved film Hoosiers and has served as host site to six U.S. presidents.
The project plan provided for a complete interior and exterior restoration of Hinkle. Already the recipient of a prestigious Save America’s Treasures grant, Butler contacted MCM to see if the project would be eligible to receive Federal historic tax credits. By employing creative business structures, MCM was able to provide $10.8 million in equity for the project.